- – The Holly and The Ivy Winter Roadshow
- – Fiddles in Harmony with Sophy Ball
- – Winter Warmers with Laura Connolly
The Holly and The Ivy
– A Midwinter Roadshow for Schools
A concert lasting between 45 and 60 minutes, presenting songs, stories, dances and customs associated with Midwinter, Christmas and the New Year. It’s lively, informal, participative and highly professional. It includes both Christian and secular material – or rather it doesn’t distinguish between the two – all of it traditional in both content and style. There are some moments for quiet listening, and lots of opportunities for children to join in the singing, and to dance and/or join the band. As well as being a lively and enjoyable concert, the roadshow helps children and teachers to gain deeper insights into the significance of many of our midwinter customs and traditions. Schools receive a detailed preparatory letter and teachers’ notes, giving background information and words and music for some of the material. The schools roadshow is both highly entertaining and genuinely educational – lively, serious and fun. Though originally designed for upper primary or middle school age-groups, it has proven suitable for a wide range of ages, both Primary and Secondary, and is even performed to whole-school audiences. It is performed acoustically, and up to three performances per day can be given.
View and download the Promotional Flyer.
Fiddles in Harmony with Sophy Ball
- – A concert programme explaining the difference between violins and fiddles, with demonstrations of well known tunes and traditional fiddle tunes from the North East. Children are encouraged to listen for different styles of accompaniment, with harmony between the fiddles and counter melodies. Alternative ways to play the fiddle and their effects are also explored, including bowing techniques and pizzicato.
- – A workshop that introduces the children to ceilidh dancing with they learn carefully selected community dances from the folk repertoire. Succinct instructions encourage the children to participate and they quickly learn to listen to the music for each part of the dance. Boys and girls of all ages engage in the social and physical aspect of the dancing, which increases their self-esteem.
Winter Warmers with Laura Connolly
- – A concert features clog dances, tunes, songs and stories with a winter theme.
- – The workshop introduces the children to clog dancing from scratch (clogs provided).
There are no upcoming events.
1 month agoFancy a few tunes?Just a couple of days until the January Workshops on Zoom. There's a relaxed Friday evening of tunes to play-along to on any instrument and the dots (including tunes, harmonies and chords) are provided. Plus there are two Fiddle Workshops on Saturday, each teaching a tune and fiddle techniques aimed at a different level. Visit the website for full details and booking info. All resources are provided and workshops are recorded and available on YouTube after the event.www.stewarthardy.co.uk/january2021-workshops/ ... See MoreSee LessStewart Hardy Music updated their cover photo.
1 month agoStewart Hardy Music's cover photo ... See MoreSee Less
2 months agoGearing up for a new block at North East Fiddle School!~~~A new year, a new block of online fiddle tuition!We begin again at NEFS on Weds 13th Jan and bookings are now open. There will be five weeks of material - video tutorials to teach techniques and tunes, and live Zoom workshops for Fiddle Practice techniques and learning core repertoire tunes. Recordings of the workshops will be available afterwards too, so you can access all of the materials at any time you choose!Full details are on the website linked in the event information below. (Sadly the course isn't free as the event shows 🙁 I can't get the FB event to show the price unless it's a Paid FB event! There are also 5 weeks of video tutorials and Zoom workshops, but I couldn't find the event scheduling feature - is it just me today?!?!?!)We hope you can join our friendly community of fiddle players!www.northeastfiddleschool.org.uk/classes/ ... See MoreSee Less
Tags30 Years Collection Bill Elliot Bottle Bank Band CD Launch Community Strings Fiddle Day Frank McLaughlin George Welch Graham Dixon Halsway Manor HISS Holly & Ivy James Hill Jimmy's Fiddle JSArts Maddison's Thread Mick West Trio Minstrelsy Morpeth Gathering North East Fiddle School Northumbrian Shop Solo TFA workshop